Fun treat for your tots this summer
Summer is approaching, and while children are enjoying the break, you would like to give them treats that they will love and enjoy with a healthy factor.
Chef Noel Cunningham noted that "When thinking about food for children during the summer, it is best to keep in mind something quick, colourful, and fun that makes them want to try it. But most of all, keep in mind nutrition and get them involved."
Here are a few of his sweet treats:
Blueberry-coconut yogurt popsicle
This popsicle is perfect for the kids instead of ice cream on a hot summer day. I'm sure they won't even realise it's not ice cream.
- 1 cup coconut Greek yoghurt
- 1 cup blueberry yoghurt
- honey (optional)
Fill each popsicle mould or cup with blended yoghurt alternatively, close lid if and insert popsicle sticks using a mould. If using a cup after you add all the yoghurt, insert stick and place carefully in the freezer overnight.
Orange juice popsicle
The easy way to add vitamin C to children's diet during the summer while they are active
- Orange juice
- Sliced strawberry
- Sliced Kiwi
Fill each popsicle mould or plastic cup with prepared fruits and add orange juice. Insert stick and place carefully in the freezer overnight.
Note: You can use just about any juice that you love in this recipe.
Perfect for a hot day outside. The kids will surely think its pizza.
- 1 watermelon (round cut or wedges)
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt (for spread)
- 4 strawberries, sliced in quarter
- 4 raspberries cut in half
- 8 blueberries
- Diced pineapples
1. Cut watermelon round in half then cut off a slice of watermelon right down the middle, about two to three inches thick.
2. Spread yogurt over the watermelon then add your fruits on top as you desire.
3. Cut melon in 8 pieces and enjoy
Grilled peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich
Quick and easy sandwich the kids can enjoy. Crispy outside and filled with gooey goodness.
- Bread slices
- Peanut butter
- Strawberry jam
Apply peanut butter and strawberry jam to toasted bread and cut in the desired shape.
Blueberry and orange juice slushy
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- orange juice
1. Blend the blueberries with the orange juice, scraping downs sides as necessary. Be careful not to add too much liquid, you want to keep this thick and icy.
2. Pour into cups and enjoy.
These fruits kabobs are fun to make and can always be made ahead of time for a family day out.
- 12 red Seedless grapes
- 1/2 pineapple diced
- 12 green seedless grapes
- 12 blackberries
- 6 strawberries (hulled and cut into halves)
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 2 tsp honey
Take 12 wooden skewers and thread the fruits in order and serve with yoghurt dipping sauce.
For the sauce combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.