Sun | Dec 8, 2019

‘It wasn’t me’ - Driver claims not responsible for bizarre HWT crash

Published:Friday | October 25, 2019 | 12:11 AMJason Cross/Gleaner Writer

Police investigators are urging citizens who witnessed a taxicab mow down two people in the busy commercial hub of Half-Way Tree in St Andrew on Wednesday to come forward with information.

A man and a woman who are in serious but stable condition in hospital were sent flying into the air after being struck by the taxi on Eastwood Park Road.

The person alleged to be the hired driver of the vehicle is in custody and is being interviewed by investigators.

“The gentleman broke his hip and his leg. He also hurt his head. The lady is experiencing pain all over,” a police source told The Gleaner last night.

The source said that the man in custody, who is believed to reside on Oakland Crescent in Kingston, admitted to being the hired driver but denies being behind the steering wheel at the time of the incident.

The owner of the vehicle is of an Olympic Way, St Andrew, address.

“He didn’t come in to us, so we went for him. He claims he parked the car and someone named Chad jumped into it and drove off,” the policeman said of the designated driver.

“We are appealing for the help of passengers in the vehicle as well as bystanders. There were people videoing and not one person has said, ‘Let’s go to the police.’”

Earlier this year, the man now in custody was charged with reckless driving but pleaded guilty to the lesser offence of careless driving and lost points from his licence.

jason.cross@gleanerjm.com