Wed | Jun 19, 2024

Court still awaiting psych report for mom accused of killing infant

Published:Tuesday | May 28, 2024 | 12:09 AM


A long-awaited psychiatric evaluation for a St James woman accused of fatally throwing her five-month-old daughter off a three-storey roof in December 2023 is expected to be ready in a month.

The accused, Shamoya Green, made her most recent court appearance on May 16, when she was remanded until her next court date – June 26.

The court ordered that the psychiatric evaluation should be done by then.

Green is charged with murder in relation to the death of her infant daughter, Destiny Brown.

Allegations are that on December 6, 2023, about 5:35 p.m., Green was at home with her common-law husband and other family members in Barrett Hall, St James, when she tried to have a conversation with the man about their relationship. However, he reportedly put off the talks until later that evening.

Green reportedly became enraged and left the room, taking baby Destiny with her. She allegedly took the child to the roof of the third floor of the family’s house and threw her on to the concrete pit in the yard.

The police were alerted and Destiny was taken to the hospital, where she died.

However, the accused woman has exhibited mental issues on more than one occasion since she first appeared in court on March 6. She also had an epileptic episode on that date.

During that first court appearance, presiding parish judge Kaysha Grant-Pryce ordered a psychiatric report for the accused.

The court heard that Green was a regular psychiatric ward patient at the Cornwall Regional Hospital in St James, who had been discharged and was on medication.

In an April 3 court appearance, judge Natiesha Fairclough-Hylton voiced displeasure that Green had not undergone any psychiatric evaluation since her detention in December.

Fairclough-Hylton expressed concern that Green had previously exhibited suicidal tendencies, including allegedly trying to kill herself on the day of Destiny’s death. That concern was voiced after the court was advised that a date for Green’s psychiatric assessment had not been set.