Sun | Sep 29, 2024

FAO investigates flu outbreak

Published:Tuesday | April 28, 2009 | 1:08 PM

The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) said it will be sending a team to investigate allegations that industrial pig farms in Mexico were the source of the swine flu outbreak.



According to the agency\'s chief veterinary officer, Joseph Domenech, the FAO received rumours that people were falling ill last month near some intensive pig farms.



The World Health Organisation (WHO) said it is no longer possible to contain the swine flu outbreak.



However, a senior WHO official, Keiji Fukada, stressed that a worldwide pandemic was not inevitable.



The WHO raised its alert over the outbreak to level four - six being the highest.