Holywell Nyammings with Reggae Jammin
Don’t you just love the smell of burger patties on the grill? Pair that with a nice cold drink, a group of friends and a beautiful background and there you have it – the most amazing day. Reggae Jammin wants to help you up your hamburger skill set for those grill-worthy occasions and served us up a new burger recipe in the cool hills of Holywell. A perfect twist to the conventional cheeseburger, utilising plantains, mushrooms and pack choi, this burger truly did not disappoint. Chef Haleem Card shared his recipe with us, check it out:
(Serves five people)
What you’ll need:
1. 1 package Reggae Jammin Seasoned beef OR chicken burger patties
2. 5 burger buns
3. 1 large plantain
4. 3 cups mushrooms
5. 2 cups heavy cream
6. 1 tbsp salted butter
7. 1 tbsp thyme (roughly chopped)
8. 2 cloves garlic (minced)
9. ½ tbsp pimento (ground)
10. Sliced cheese (optional)
11. 2 bunches pak choi
12. 2 tbsp olive oil
13. Salt and pepper
1. Prep all the components of the burger in the order of importance, mushrooms, then salad, and finish with the buns, plantain and burgers on the grill.
• In a hot skillet, add the butter and wait until light foam appears (1-2 minutes), add mushrooms then sauté until all the mushrooms are coated in butter. Add salt to help draw out moisture and cook on medium high heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
• Add cream and cook until the cream has thickened and mushrooms have softened. Set aside and keep warm.
• Finely shred (chiffonade) pak choi, mostly the green parts, and pour over the olive oil. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper and lightly massage the greens until they start to shrink and break down a bit. Set aside and keep cool.
2. Put the plantains on the grill on a medium high flame (peeled), and allow them to char slightly, turning every two minutes, slice thinly, set aside and keep warm.
3. Slice burger buns in half and place on the grill cut sides down and allow toasting to desired texture. Depending on the heat of the grill it shouldn’t take more than 2 minutes.
4. Place burger patties on the grill and flip only after the first side is done (4 minutes), flip and cook for 2-3 minutes and place a slice of cheese on each burger patty, close the grill and allow the cheese to melt.
5. In that time, start to assemble the burger, use your favourite condiments on either cut side of the buns, place the burger first, then mushrooms, salad and plantains, enjoy hot.