Wed | Jun 19, 2024

Immigration Corner | How to renew a British passport

Published:Tuesday | May 28, 2024 | 12:06 AM

Dear Mr Bassie,

Could you please inform me on the process to renew my British passport? I look forward to any information that you can provide.


Dear FF,

Persons must renew their British passport before they can travel, if either their passport has expired or if they do not have enough time left on it. It should be noted that how much time they need on their passport depends on the country that they are planning on visiting. Persons should also check the entry requirements of the country that they want to travel to.

Please be aware that there are different rules if the passport is lost, stolen or damaged, or if a person needs to change their name or personal details. If the current passport is burgundy or has ‘European Union’ on the cover, persons can still use it, as long as it is valid for travel.


With respect to supporting documents, persons should note that, in order to renew a British passport, they will need an old passport and any valid passports they have from a different country. They should send either a colour photocopy of every page (including blank ones) or the physical passport.

Applicants can use the Renew Online service. They can use this service to renew their passport online and it costs £88.50. Persons will need to provide a digital photograph; a credit or debit card; and their passport. This service is also available in Welsh.


Persons can get a paper application form, if in the United Kingdom, by either going to a post office that has a Check and Send service or by calling the Passport Adviceline.

The cost is £100 and persons can pay by either debit or credit card and they should fill in the form in the application pack. They can also use a cheque which should be made payable to ‘HM Passport Office’. Persons will also need two new and identical printed photographs of themselves.


Persons should send their previous passport with the visa attached to it with the application. Please note that the previous passport will be returned to the applicant. He/she will be able to use the visa if both passports are taken when travelling. Please be aware that the rules are different if travelling to Russia.

All the best!

John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator, the past global president of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (U.). Email: